TR « All Events
- This event has passed.
Join the Clear Masks Virtual Sewing Fest
September 24, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm PDTFree – $10
Clear masks help the deaf and hard of hearing community communicate with one another during COVID.
WHAT IS THE EVENT?
Sewers from across the world are uniting on September 24th to sew #clearmasks at the first ever Virtual Sewing Fest!
This is a Zoom event featuring a live DJ and #DIY tutorials, where you can meet sewers from across the world and make an impact! We are collaborating with TOM Global and the Adaptive Design Association of NYC to host this event.
Clear masks improve communication and human interaction for everyone. This is super important for the deaf and hard of hearing (DHH) community who rely on lip reading and facial expressions to communicate.
Whether you’re a professional sewer or a first timer, everyone’s invited. The event will feature live sewing tutorials, so get ready to learn new skills. Hand stitch or sewing machine works!
WHAT ARE WE MAKING?
You will have 5 clear mask designs to choose from participants will need to buy materials beforehand. Check out these tutorials to choose a design and see what materials to gather in advance of the event. The ‘Dororthy‘ style mask will be demonstrated at the event.
WHERE ARE THE MASKS DONATED?
All clear masks will be donated locally to local community centers, speech therapists, schools and more.
Makers Making Change supports this initiative and some of our chapters will be participating! Please contact your local organizations for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to find out what their needs are. Chapters and our staff can also help you find places to send your masks in Canada and US if needed.
Register at https://virtualsewingfest.info
Share #SEW4SMILES and #VirtualSewingFest
National Association of the Deaf – NAD.
Join Makers Making Change!
Are you a Maker?
- Volunteer your skills in 3D printing, 3D modelling, laser cutting, designing, soldering, problem solving, event planning, community organizing
- Attend a virtual assistive technology build event; or an in person build!
- Submit your own assistive device designs to our open source library
- Explore new skills/possible career paths and make for a purpose
Are you a Person with a Disability?
- Request a device for only the cost of materials(and shipping)
- Make connections to people who care in your community
Are you a Disability Professional?
- Review our devices to help innovate the way we deliver and create AT
- Learn how to build Assistive Tech.
- Start a Chapter in your area!
Are you an Educator?
- Learn about our free curriculum
- Learn about how students can help people with disabilities in their school, families and community.
To learn more about this project and sign up at www.makersmakingchange.com