TR « All Events
- This event has passed.
June 3, 2020 - June 6, 2020$125
Sustainability: Building & Supporting an Ecosystem
That Sustains Us AllThe Makers Making Change team is hosting 2 session you can join!
DIY Assistive Technology Solutions. Friday June 5, 1-2 pm PT/4-5pm ET Hosted by Stewart Russell Materials Engineer and Regional Coordinator for Central Canada
Onboarding Volunteer MakersThursday June 4, 1-2 pm PT: Hosted by Zee Kesler our Community Coordinator
Other NOMCON 2020 sessions that peak our interests are:
- Wed June 3 2PM PST: Minimizing the Environmental Impact of 3D printing
- Wed June 3 2PM PST: Demonstrating Impact of Library Makerspaces
- Wed June 2 4PM PST: Bridging the Economic Divide with Library Makerspaces
- Thurs June 4 3 PST: Grant Writing for Makers
- Thurs June 4 3PM PST: Supporting Making at Home and Sustaining a Virtual Maker Community
- Fri June 5 2PM PST: Prioritizing Inclusion in Maker Education
- Fri June 5 3PM PST: Competitive Youth Robotics and the Maker Community
- Sat June 6 2PM PST: Approaches to Gathering Local Government Support for Local, Distributed PPE Production
Join Makers Making Change!Makers Making Change pairs makers to people with disabilities who need access to low cost assistive devices. Their website hosts a Project Library of open source devices that includes material lists, design files, and instructions for building DIY assistive technologies. Some projects in the library include switches for electronic devices like accessible gaming, AAC devices and toys. The library also hosts files to create simple aids for daily life. One of the highest tech projects is the LipSync; a mouth controlled sip and puff mouse. Makers can volunteer their times and skills, and requesters can request item for only the cost of materials. Read more about how our site works on our Roles and Responsibilities page.
Volunteer as a Maker:
- Volunteer your skills in 3D printing, 3D modelling, laser cutting, designing, soldering, problem solving, event planning, community organizing
- Help people in your community to live more independently
- Submit your assistive device designs to our open source library
- Explore new skills/possible career paths and make for a purpose
- Create a new community driven model of distribution that creates connection
Request a Device:
- Request a device for only the cost of materials(and shipping)
- Make connections to people who care in your community
- Help innovate the way we deliver and create assistive technology
Sign up now!
- Go to www.makersmakingchange.com and sign up! Make sure to click to sign up for our mailing list so you can also hear about events and workshops.
- Activate your account.Check your junk mail and make sure to click ‘not junk/mark as safe’. This way you can receive our communications
- Fill out your skills and interests and add a profile photo if you like!
- Request a Device from our Projects Library. Browse or Search the library, and when you find a device you need,click ‘request’ and type in details in the form. When we receive your request, we will do our best to match you up with a volunteer.