TR « All Events
- This event has passed.
VIRTUAL HOLIDAY HACK ALONG – ADAPT A TOY
December 11, 2020 @ 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm ESTFree
JOIN US AT OUR VIRTUAL HOLIDAY HACK ALONG AND HELP US TO PROVIDE MORE AFFORDABLE ADAPTED TOYS TO CHILDREN IN YOUR COMMUNITY
Many electronic toys have a switch that activates its function. For children, while being fun, it helps teach cause and effect. Motor development, cognitive development, language and social interaction skills can also be promoted. Over the longer term these skills are applied to more sophisticated devices and equipment. This greatly enhances a person’s quality of life.
For children with disabilities, pushing the toy’s default button may not be possible, but they may be able to activate other switches. Switch adapting a battery operated toy enables alternate switches to be plugged in to operate the toy. This may be the only way a child can operate the toy. When a child with a disability first uses a switch toy, it is often be the first time she/he has independently controlled anything! Regular interaction with toys and sensory devices can be of significant benefit to a child’s development.
For The Virtual Holiday Hack Event
You Will Need:
- A Star Gazer Toy (you will need to buy-here’s a link via Amazon)
- 3 female 3.5mm mono audio jacks
- 3 mono 3,5 mm audio cables (similar to this)
- 5/32′ drill
- wire strippers
- small Phillips and Robertson screwdriver
- a soldering iron stand, solder and sponge( as well as copper braid or a de-soldering pump)
- flush cutters
- permanent marker
- masking tape (optional)
- a switch (your own, or check out our open source assistive device library for designs)
- Safety glasses
Spaces are limited: To register or for more info contact Suzanne Winterflood, Regional Coordinator, Winnipeg at [email protected]