Feedback about: Myriah (SLP)Makey Makey Project Submission
Hi Myriah thanks for your video!!
I can see what’s going on here with the challenges you are having
1. the reason themakey makey sometimes doesn’t work to turn on and off is because your bracelet is a bit loose. It needs to be tied tight against your skin. I can see its a bit loose in the video-that’s prob what it is.
2. the cardboard isn’t conductive. To make this conductive so it works better(instead of you touching the clips everytime your student hands you the No card) you could try some of the following ideas:
* you could attached tinfoil or aluminum tape on the bottom of the No card (make sure the clip attaches/touch this because that whats conductive)and have tinfoil or something conductive in your own hand or a plate, so when he passes you the No card(or places it on the plate) the circuit connection is completed. You’d need to have an alligator clip attached to the plate or conductive object in your hand and the other end connected to the makey makey to trigger the space bar to play the video again. with this you could even code so that theres a Yes plate and a No plate he has to match up, that wont work(ie trigger the video) unless he places the NO card on the NO plate. I am guessing I could figure out pretty easily how to code that in scratch like x+x= space bar(sound/video on tarheel) y +y=click(sound/video on tarheel) but x+y wouldn’t work neither would y+x to make a sound/video response(meaning he put the YEs card on the No plate for example the answer would be wrong.) @gravescolleen do you have any resources on something like this? I was starting to draw it out but I don’t have time before our meeting!
*He could wear the conductive bracelet which would trigger the action if he lifted the “No card” This will only work if you put aluminum foil/tape all over the card and attached the alligator clip to any part that has the aluminum foil/tape then to the space bar
* You could also paint the No card in conductive paint. or cover the whole No card in aluminum tape or tinfoil then write NO on it in marker. This would trigger the space bar press if he touched the No card(rather than having to pass it to you)
* Another idea is to use playdoh in 2 contrasting colors. Playdoh is conductive, so if you use a background color then wrote NO in another color and pressed the letters for NO into the playdough and plugged the alligator clips INTO the playdoh this would also act as a switch he could press
All the above are mostly addressing the conductive issues, but I think there’s a bit more variables here since there are 2 choices so there might be some more coding required or a better app than tarheel that would work better because you need a way for the program to know if he’s choosing the right answer or not and then give a response that reflects his answer(to indicate whether hes right or wrong)
Collaborate with makers in the community to develop your device idea.
to News & Events
Stay up to date with the latest from Makers Making Change
Connect, share and help build our community