Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    @

Adapted%20Head%20pointer

Stage Prototype
    Project Need Agility / Dexterity
    Created By Christopher Marotta
    Capabilities Needed 3D Printing, Computer Aided Design
    Time to Complete —
    Cost to Build —
    Creative Commons License attribution-sharealike-4-0-international

Overview

This head pointer clip allows for a person who uses a head pointer already, or maybe would benefit from a head pointer, the ability to paint, write and possibly use a computer.

Usage

A writing instrument, paint brush or dowel is secured directly to the clip using two screws. The clip can then be slid onto the brim of a baseball cap or visor.

Alternatively, to provide for a better viewing angle, the writing instrument, paint brush, or dowel can be inserted into the offset holder, and then the offset holder can be secured to the clip.

The adapter will also work with an Apple Pen when using an iPad or iPhone, because it is Bluetooth. It will not work with a regular stylus.

MMC Library Page: https://makersmakingchange.com/project/adapted-head-pointer/

![Paint Spinner Pic 2021-05-03 at 7.35.55 PM 2|418×412, 75%](upload://8dETQOWqfnS80d5cHnJe2nddXsy.jpeg) ![Marker hat pic 2021-05-03 at 7.38.55 PM|519×500, 50%](upload://9GtmHuK5AAYUxTe9V1TQzgKSRV3.jpeg) ![Paint pic 6|360×480, 75%](upload://buzCcC4yLqGKUGdq17DKtE7T9ef.png)

I have printed this head pointer several times for use with the same student during our OT sessions. Thank you for sharing this great accessibility file! It has been a wonderful resource for my student that allows access to writing and painting. I have made some simple tweaks to the design to make it work. Hopefully, these strategies can help others. I used wiki sticks throughout to stabilize the stylus and hat clamp. Then, I fastened a pencil to the utensil holder. The pencil is stabilized, and then used as an attachment for markers, pens, or a paintbrush. A hot glue gun was used to create an easy marker cap attachment to change colors for the marker or gel pen. As I continue to work with other professionals, we are noticing additional ways to develop this pointer. We are looking into a wingnut clamp system to stabilize a variety of utensil circumferences to the utensil holder. That same wingnut clamp should work to stabilize the clamp to the hat. Holes would need to be drilled on both sides of the utensil holder and clamp. A different modification that might help with smooth writing control might be some kind of joint system that allows the angle of the pen to change.

Again, please know how much my 5 year old student and I appreciate this head pointer. It has been a game changer for school and leisure participation. My student asks to paint with his head pointer every opportunity he has. He asked for one to keep at home, which I happily supplied.

I updated the design with a larger clip and an adjustable holder. Search my designs at chrismarottaot on Tinkercad.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I updated the design with a larger clip and an adjustable holder. Search my designs at chrismarottaot on Tinkercad.

The updated designs are great! I have a thought to further increase stability. I may try to make it over the summer. If the dowel is forked and flattened  where it attaches to the hat, it might prevent rotation. It would mean adding two more side by side tunnel ports on the updated wider clamp, which already does a great job improving stability. Just a thought.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.