• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    @

## Mouse Navigator

Project Idea:
    Hi!
    I work closely with a college student who is in a wheelchair and has limited mobility of her hands.

It’s difficult for her to scroll using a mouse. All Shenandoah University students have MacBooks and the mouse can be extremely difficult for someone with mobility challenges to navigate.

Thanks for all that you do!

I’ve separated the original submission into two separate threads, one for each design challenge. The other request is here: https://forum.makersmakingchange.com/t/page-turner/309

Hey @medney – is the student using a standard mouse or a trackpad? Is it just scroll or is there difficulty using the buttons as well?

There is a commercially available mouse alternative (https://www.contourdesign.com/product/rollermouse-red/) that may work, but it is quite expensive (~$265).

![image|656×500,50%](upload://3uPjFkz3n1cV1rJRwqdNnJ3STNf.jpeg)

If it is primarily the scrolling that is an issue, a DIY option with a microcontroller to emulate a mouse is a very feasible project.

I can’t afford this option. 😂

I suspect we could produce a design similar to the roller bar mouse for a fraction of the cost. Of course we want to avoid patent and copyright infringement, but we can produce something different but equivalent in the $50 price range.

**Hello @medney @MMC_Jake @Hannah ,**

I guess it would be a great help for designers and makers, if we could get the information more specific about the level of disability of user and what kind of mobility user could have in the body, like what kind of movements he/she can do, so that we can design something which could suit the user’s capability of movement.

Please let me know if you think it would help making things better and more relatable.

**Thanks..!!**

**Regards,**
    **Gurbaksh Singh (Techie Baksh)**

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.