- This topic is empty.
- This topic has Ready to Build tag assigned
May 29, 2019 at 8:21 pm #10091@
Project Need Agility / Dexterity, Mobility
Created By Ken Hackbarth
Capabilities Needed 3D Printing, Other
Time to Complete —
Cost to Build —
Creative Commons License attribution-4-0-international
The Personalized Cuff Utensil was designed by Ken Hackbarth of Volksswitch.org 3.
Utensil holders give people with limited grip, hand strength, or dexterity a way to use items like eating utensils, toothbrushes, writing tools, and other small items. This device is focused on support for eating but the design could be extended easily to other objects. It was inspired by a post to the ATMakers.org 2 page on Facebook asking for a utensil holder that accommodated knifes as well as forks and spoons. This design has several advantages over other designs:
– It is 3D printable for just pennies using the most commonly used filament – PLA.
– Separates the device into a hand mount and a utensil mount. Each can be separately sized to accommodate differently sized hands and differently sized utensils.
– The two components are joined using a common interface that can be extended for use with other objects like a pen holder or a hairbrush holder.
– The utensil mount comes in two orientations to support both forks/spoons and knives.
– The utensil mount attaches below the hand for a natural orientation.
– The hand mount incorporates a thumb rest/guard to protect the thumb from being injured by the utensil or dragged through the food.
This design is completely customizable using the Thingiverse Customizer or, better yet, download a free copy of OpenSCAD and do the design quickly and easily on your computer.May 29, 2019 at 8:21 pm #10092
Do you have a way to get the measurements that would be obtained from this tool?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.