Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Author:  @atrc

Description of Idea:
    Hello. I am looking for a device to assist me in putting on the backs of earrings for post earrings. This is quite a challenge to do one handed. I have not been able to successfully wear post earrings for this reason since my stroke. In my mind, it will have handles like scissors and work like pliers. I have searched the internet and cannot find anything to accomplish this task. This device will be able to help many people with fine motor deficits like stroke, tbi, and arthritis.

Thank you,
    Heather

MMC Entry I.D: 7165

Hi Heather,

I found this image of the different earing back types, is it the standard push back you would need designed for ?

Marc

@marchache1717 It would be for the standard push back.

Thanks Heather,

Here’s what I’m thinking, let me know if you think this approach would work. This approach would assume the earring would already be in the ear.

Basic idea is to use tips that fit on an existing device, scissors for example, making the solution quicker, cheaper and perhaps customizable over designing the full device from scratch.

Design two tips to fit on a pair of scissors. One tip would be a flat or slightly concave surface to press against the earring. The other would have a small “tray” to hold the back. The tray would have a countersunk opening to guide the post into the hole on the back. You’d place the flat tip on the earring, and close the scissors to place the back on the post.

Considerations:

• Scissors close in an “scissoring” motion rather than an arc. The tips would have to factor this in. Something more like C Clamp locking pliers would have a better motion but not as readily available in a small size. There may be other, more suitable, options.
    • Safety: Scissor blades would need to be long enough so that there is no chance of users getting cut
    • Damage to the earring: Flat surface would have to be soft enough to avoid damaging the earring
    • Variety of earrings: Not sure a single surface would be good for all earring types. A variety of tips could be designed to be interchangeable.

let me know what you think.
    Marc

Hi Heather

Came across this (now discontinued) product. Would something like this work for you ? easy enough to make

@marchache1717 My response disappeared. I was thinking scissor like handles (loops) attached to a needle nose pliers with attachments for the tips: a pronged tip to hold the earring back as well as a soft, flat tip to support the earring itself. The handle attachment and tip attachments could be a universal fit for common needle nosed pliers.

Hi Heather,

Looks like a bunch of responses got lost when we crossed over to the new forum. I had posted this on the 11th.

Here’s the first prototype I modeled after some full sized scissors with the idea of printing the whole device. It doesn’t have the tip shapes yet, more just to give a sense of scale and ensure the motion would be correct.

I can take a look at attachments for needle nose if you think that would be a better approach. Getting a tight fit might be a challenge if there is any variation of handle size or shape.

I wasn’t sure whether full sized loops would be best or smaller , finger sized loops (like these ).  Easy enough to modify this model for the smaller piece. Let me know what you think.

Marc

20211011_163533
    20211011_163533

Hello Marc, I think the full size loop handles would be easier to manage, especially for those with arthritis or other fine motor impairments. My thought with the pliers was so that they could be widely used. This device looks like it may work.  How much pressure can it withstand as is?

Thank you,

Heather

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll get the prototype finished and test it here to make sure it will withstand the pressure and everything works as planned. Once that’s done we’ll get you in touch with a local maker who can make arrangements to print and ship/deliver to you. I expect we’ll need to make some changes as you test it out but hopefully they will be minor.

Marc

I look forward to trying it.

@ckelley92620 this is the forum topic.

@marchache1717   Where are we at with this project?

Thank you,

Heather

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.