Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    @gt

Hello,

I am looking to find someone who knows how to design and build various things with PVC pipes. I want to build a special foot-rest to attach to a classroom chair for 2 of my students. I have a basic idea of what I want it to look like and what functions it needs to have. Being that I’ve never worked with PVC pipes to build things, I do not know where to start. If someone would be able to help me design this project and tell me the specific sizes, items that I would need to purchase along with some guidance, I do think I would be able to build it myself.

Please let me know if you think you’d be able to assist me with this project. Thank you.

Hey @gt,

Can you post a sketch or some photos of what you are trying to accomplish? That will provide potential designers a better idea of the challenge.

I’ve worked quite a bit with PVC, so may also be able to offer some support. As part of the PAMS (PVC Accessible Mounting System) project, I compiled a bunch of resources related to designing with PVC in the repository:

https://github.com/makersmakingchange/PVC-Accessible-Mounting-System/tree/master/Resources

Assistive Technology Educational Network (ATEN). (2005). PVC: Practical, Versatile, Cheap Assistive Technology Supports

Edit: Fixed links.

@gt @mmc_jake I connected with GT and wanted to post the responses here so they are visible for everyone:

The following is from @gt:

Yes, I would still be interested in this.

I am attaching a link to the footrest we currently use. 

https://www.especialneeds.com/step-a-roo-adjustable-footrest.html

Additionally, I am attaching a link to the chairs we would want to attach the footres to. 

https://www.jonti-craft-furniture.com/berries-plastic-chairs-chrome-plated-legs.aspx

The problem with the one we use now is that it is very heavy and bulky, so it makes it difficult to move the chair along with the footrest. It is also quite expensive, so a huge plus would be for the pvc pipe footrest to be less expensive than that. Additionally, it does not fit snugly to the chair, so my students figured out how to stick his foot into the gap and lift it slightly then drop it using their feet while sitting on the  chair. This obviously causes a lot of noise which disturbs the class and bothers other children. Another thing that would be nice is for the footrest to be adjustable (or at least made in a way that I can shorten the legs as the child grows taller, even if it won’t be able to be bade taller again). 

Although we want it to be strong, the students using it weigh less than 60 pounds, so that may be a consideration as well.

Thank you!

1 user thanked author for this post.

An alternative to pvc for this application would be tri wall cardboard. Take a look at the work done by The Adaptive Design Association https://www.adaptivedesign.org/

We utilize these methods to create all sorts of custom seating, learning aids, etc.

A foot rest would be a great way to start using this lightweight material.

My students in the Biomedical Engineering Technology program took a stab at it and came up with two good solutions for you to consider.  Attached are two documents: one that summarizes both proposals (one with PVC pipes and one completely different option) and one that goes into more details about the PVC version.  If you would like the prototype sample for your use or provide any feedback, you can contact me at [email protected] .

Cheers.

@gt

My students in the Biomedical Engineering Technology program took a stab at it and came up with two good solutions for you to consider. Attached are two documents: one that summarizes both proposals (one with PVC pipes and one completely different option) and one that goes into more details about the PVC version. If you would like the prototype sample for your use or provide any feedback, you can contact me at [email protected] .

Cheers.

Wow! Thank you so much! This is a very comprehensive and detailed exploration of this particular need and explanation of how to create this! I am super impressed with the work. Now that we are on summer break, I will have time to look through the details carefully and to attempt to create one myself! I will let you know I I run into any issue that require your help or knowledge.

@gt

An alternative to pvc for this application would be tri wall cardboard. Take a look at the work done by The Adaptive Design Association https://www.adaptivedesign.org/

We utilize these methods to create all sorts of custom seating, learning aids, etc.

A foot rest would be a great way to start using this lightweight material.

Hi! I responded to this post a while ago…not sure why it never got posted, so here it is again.

This sounds like a fantastic idea! Some people from Adaptive Design actually came to my school to make some adaptive equipment for our students (though not in my class). I just bought all the materials I think I would need to do this project with tri-wall cardboard. Would you be able to guide me in the creation of this project? Or would you have a guide or template on how to do so? I watched the videos and read the pamphlet from the Adaptive Design Website, but need guidance on creating this specific piece of equipment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.