• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    @

## Request for Pen Ball

Request Note:
    Hello,
    I printed one of these pen balls for a friend of mine. The ball may be a little big for her hands. I was wondering if you have a parametric model where I can change the diameter of the ball but keep the other holes/slots for screws and nuts, and their placements the same?
    Thanks!
    Cheers,

@alice

### Project Page

[Project URL](https://forum.makersmakingchange.com/t/pen-ball-customizable-pen-ball-writing-aid/59)

@SRv can you help with this?

Hi Alice – great to hear from you Thanks for making the device for your friend!

The [Pen Ball](https://makersmakingchange.com/project/pen-ball/) does allow a small amount of customization, but it doesn’t work directly with Customizer. You can try changing the parameters in the OpenSCAD script, or if you let me know how much smaller might work, I will see if I can make that work.

Hi @Hannah and @SRv!
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
    We’re going about this via trial and error — mostly error. 🙁 A racquet ball (diameter: 2.25″ ~ 57mm) seems to fit nicely in her hand.
    Thanks for your help!
    Cheers,

@alice

will changing the dimensions affect the space to put a pencil/pen at all?

I’m not sure about this one specifically. In general, a parametric model allows for changes to some parameters while keeping others constant — up to a point, without affecting the integrity of the design.

So yes, I’m looking to put a writing utensil < 10mm in width in the ball.

Yes, the design is parametric. In the OpenSCAD source file, take a look at lines 11-12:

// ** the two main parameters **
    // may produce a useless design, so change at your own risk
    ball_diam = 60.0; // 60 mm is default; can go to 45 if wall_thick reduced
    pen_diam = 10.5; // should fit most pens; 10.5 mm is default

You can easily drop the diameter down to 57, and `pen_diam` seems to render a good result even if dropped to 5 mm. You *may* need longer screws, though.

I see! Sorry, I never looked at the code. For some reason, I thought it would be gibberish!

The 10.5mm diameter is good — yes, longer screws. 🙂

THANKS!

Cheers,

@alice

For some reason, I can’t seem to reply on the MMC website today. I log in but can’t seem to get back onto the thread. But email works! 🙂

Hurray glad @SRv could help with this. He’s very good at this type of thing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.