Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I want to have a tablet with a keyboard and trackpad displayed on it, which I can type and mouse on, that outputs to hardware kb/m signals like USB and PS/2. The buttons and mouse behaviors would benefit hugely from being customizable.

I have chronic hand pain that makes using physical keyboards and mice difficult. Touch screens are enough of an improvement that I can use them. I often use remote access software such as Splashtop for Windows and SSH for Unix systems. However there are certain apps that these programs can’t handle and some situations where using client software isn’t possible or desired.

If I had to ballpark how this would be made, it would be through an Android tablet with custom drivers and hardware. I don’t think the problem is the complexity of the problem, but the esoteric knowledge required to know where the least complex solution lies.

It looks like there may be a commercial product that works in the way you describe. The input stick http://inputstick.com/ is a $40 USB HID device dongle that uses Bluetooth to connect to a phone or tablet.

Full disclosure, I have never used one of these, have no connection to the folks who make it, and cannot vouch for the quality of their product.

Holy moly, thank you Tim. I’ve been looking for this for over a decade. And the app is open source.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.