The Enabled Controller is an open-source switch interface that enables adaptive switches and analog joysticks to be used with a compatible USB device such as a computer, tablet, or phone. The switches and/or joysticks can be used to input keyboard, mouse, or joystick/gamepad commands, depending on how the device is configured. The device accepts up to 8 adaptive switches (3.5 mm) and up to two dual axis analog joysticks as inputs.
The Enabled Controller is available in 2 software versions. The USB version emulates a keyboard or a mouse. The Joystick version emulates a gamepad. Both versions use the same hardware. It is possible to change software versions using a computer and a moderately involved process.
- Connect assistive switch(es) to the appropriate input port(s). The switch input ports are labeled A, B, C, D, Left, Down, Right, Up.
- Connect analog joysticks to the desired joystick input ports. The joystick input ports are labelled A1 and A2.
- Connect a micro USB cable to the USB port on the Enabled Controller.
- Connect the USB cable to the host device (e.g. computer, tablet).
- Activation of the switches or movement of the joysticks will result in different actions depending on the software version and operating mode.
The USB version emulates a keyboard or a mouse. Refer to the Enabled Controller USB User Manual for more details.
The USB version offers the following four modes:
1) Keyboard switch
When a connected switch is activated, the device transmits a customizable keystroke.
2) Keyboard Morse Code
Two connected switches are used to input Morse code dots and dashes. Theses dots and dashes are converted to characters and transmitted as keystrokes.
3) Mouse Morse Code
Two connected switches are used to input Morse code dots and dashes. These dots and dashes are converted to and transmitted as mouse commands.
( Used to change reaction time )
The mode is changed by performing a long press on a switch connected to input D.
The Joystick version of the software turns the Enabled Controller to an adaptive gaming controller for your computer or other host device. Refer to the Enabled Controller Joystick User Manual for more details.
A complete set of documentation, including Bill of Materials, Assembly Guide, and User guide are available at the GitHub link.
The estimated cost of the Enabled Controller is $55 CAD. The device consists of a number of off-the-shelf electronic components, a custom printed circuit board, a 3d printed enclosure, and some mechanical fasteners.